New findings have revealed that the March fire at Sydney’s Barangaroo construction site could have caused a lot more damage than it did, as an 86-metre crane and concrete blocks came extremely close to collapse. Fairfax reported that Fire and Rescue NSW documents show that supports at the base of the crane were engulfed in flames, while floor temperatures reached 1100 degrees, with the potential to have caused the crane to “rapidly collapse”. Three possible ignition sources were identified in the report which has now been handed over to Workcover NSW for further investigation. The presence of a highly combustible filler on the ground floor and basement levels of the site has been established, despite sufficient ventilation in these areas. Hot work activities were apparently being conducted in the area. While all workers at the site were safely evacuated, this finding highlights the importance of strict engineering checks and safe wok practices at construction sites where hot work is carried out. The WHS Act (2011) requires that strict controls be implemented where hot work is performed, to eliminate the risk of flying sparks or flames igniting any surrounding flammable substances, with key consideration given to testing for flammable gases and the removal of explosive materials before work is commenced.