The death of a 54-year-old man in a hotel cellar where he was delivering beer kegs has prompted WorkSafe Victoria to issue an Improvement Notice ordering the hotel to install a detection and alarm system to warn workers of carbon dioxide leaks. An asphyxiant, carbon dioxide is one of the gases used to carbonate beer and soft drinks. It is suspected the man died due to a leak in a carbon dioxide cylinder in the cellar.

This incident should serve as a warning to other organisations storing any sort of gas on site. An independent risk assessment will give the information needed to prevent accidents, and a safety management system will ensure the health and wellbeing of your staff on the job.